I read an article today on C|NET's news feed by Nancy Prager, who seems to be very intelligent and balanced on issues of intellectual property and the entertainment industry. I popped over to her blog and poked around and she has some interesting things to say about Radiohead's experiment. I suppose I'm biased because she agrees with some of my sentiments but it's hard to argue with her when she writes, "the longterm impact that Radiohead and Trent Reznor may have on the music industry is that the major labels may be forced to go to rehab to reform their business practices."
After reading a few of her posts, I will admit that I am rethinking my position on a musician's ability to make it on his or her own from scratch. I am not convinced that it is necessary today to have the backing of a label, but there is certainly some wisdom to Prager's assertion that a label can build a fan base better than an independent artist can alone.
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment