I came to law school because I want to be like those wonderful people I've known over the years who try to do good in the world. One important facet of freeing people is giving them freedom of speech. It seems to me that the American constitution is much more adamant about protecting this right than the Canadian constitution is (though I'm no expert, as my constitutional law prof will surely tell you in 2 weeks). However, the practical reality in those two countries seems quite different. Canadians seem much more tolerant of free speech than Americans are when it comes to certain topics. Like saying what a ludicrous buffoon your supreme leader is.
I saw the Dixie Chicks' documentary, Shut Up And Sing, a few weeks ago and was repulsed by the hatred and censorship that many American citizens heaped on "the Chicks". (If you don't know the what the deal is, see the movie or google it.) I was so moved that I decided to vote with my wallet and I lost my iTunes virginity. Yes, I actually paid money for music that is freely available to steal on the Internet—usually in higher bitrate versions. I even deleted a version of "Without You" I had downloaded back in my days as a radio advertising sales rep (for CHFX, a country station in NS) and paid for a legitimate copy. That's right, even though the bulk of the cash will go to Apple (which is good) and Sony/Columbia (which is bad), I wanted to give a few nickels to those fine ladies soooo much that I forked out good Canadian dollars.
Take that you ludicrous buffon! (And thanks for sticking to your guns, girls.)
Sunday, December 3, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment